Thursday, October 4, 2012

The journey to becoming Miss California Intl. 2013

My journey to becoming Miss California Intl. was filled with good and trying days, an amazing support system, awesome directors, an incredible coach, doubt, a tremendous amount of soul searching, and lots of hours at the gym. 

I was crowned Miss Ventura County Intl. in March and from that day forward I began emotionally preparing for the coveted title. I had only 6 months to get myself in the best shape of my life (still a work in progress!) and emotionally the best version of myself that I could possibly be. I didn't waste a second. For me, being crowned Miss California wasn't about a crown and sash. One of the most significant quotes I read from the inspirational book Creating Queens by Suzy Bootz was, "Your journey is never defined or validated by a crown. It's about celebrating yourself and the person you have become because of, or in spite of your experiences". For the first time in my life I was sharing my childhood story in hopes of inspiring those in similar situation that your past doesn't have to define your future. My journey through pageantry represents healing from a trauma that I experienced, and speaking about my platform, the Big Brothers Big Sisters Organization, has become a source of healing for me. Looking back, I truly believe that pageantry was placed in my life for a much greater reason than I initially understood. 

Pageant week:
I prepared as much as I possibly could leading up to the pageant, so with the pageant just a week away I decided to relax and enjoy the experience. The event was held in Bakersfield, which coincidently was my home town, so I was incredibly blessed to have over 20 of my closest friends and family at the pageant cheering me on. With or without that crown I was going to walk away a 'winner' that night-with a support system like that, how could I not?!  The day before the pageant we had rehearsal all day, followed by "Girls Night Out" at a local restaurant, and then an ice cream social and the opportunity to get to know the girls I would be competing with. I learned so much about that incredible group of women and feel truly blessed to have been given the opportunity to share the stage, and this journey with them.
I finally climbed into bed at 1:00AM (on pageant day!) and was back up at 4:30AM for hair and make up. We spent most of the day rehearsing and then we were off to our interviews. Walking into my interview I felt more prepared than ever... but that didn't scare away my last minute jitters! Huge thank you to my good friend Hilary Gushwa who calmed me, and made me look and feel like a winner! Walking out of my interview I'd never felt more confident that I was the best version of 'me' that I could be, and that my interview was the perfect start to an incredible experience!
After interview I rushed off to prep for the evening pageant. My awesome directors helped gather my stuff and ushered me to the auditorium. One hour to show time. Instead of being nervous I had an unusual calm feeling. I was backstage joking with my fellow contestants and helping them do some last minute steaming to their outfits. The band starts to play "Footloose" and we line up for our dance number. The rest of the show flies by and soon we are all lined up in our evening gowns backstage waiting for the cue to return to the stage for the crowning. We had several minutes to kill backstage while they tallied the scores so we sat around and made conversation. Shana Smith, who is now my sister queen and the new Mrs. California Intl., sparked up a conversation about the results. Our views were so similar! We both agreed that no matter what happened, we had done our own personal best and that there was nothing else we could have done to prepare. Either it was in God's plan for us or it wasn't. 
We are all back onstage, they begin handing out awards and I am given the photogenic award (BIG thank you to Marty Gushwa for secretly entering me into the competition!!) and then it was time for the crowning. 

Second runner up- Katherine Cooksey
First- Nashay Matthews
.... running through my head: "Could it be?! There are still several tremendous competitors standing here on this stage waiting to hear their name. I did it...! Right..? Oh please say my name!!"
 The director begins, "The new Miss California International 2013 is..... Tiffany Allen from Ventura County!"

Holy cow I did it!

It's been just over a week since I was announced as Miss California and that same smile is still plastered on my face! I am honored, humbled, and blessed to be given this opportunity. I intend to become one of the hardest working Miss California's that this state has ever seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment