Sunday, September 16, 2012

A glimpse into my past.

Growing up my parents were domestically violent and addicted to drugs so at a very, very young age I was required to take on a tremendous amount of adult-like responsibility. A majority of my early memories were of things like drug raids, homelessness, unthinkable living conditions, late nights of changing diapers, making bottles, and often times wondering where where my next meal was going to come from.

By the time I reached the 5th grade I felt completely unworthy. I was embarrassed and ashamed of something that I didn't even do. That was when I met my 5th grade teacher who ended up becoming my first and most profound role model. She instilled in me that my parents mistakes didn't have to limit the possibilities of my future and that I was in charge of my destiny. School became my 'safe place' and became a place for me to play, and a place where I could excel. My teacher pushed me to become the best possible version of myself and for the first time ever I began to believe in my potential. That year I studied hard and at the end of the year I was given an award that listed me as the top student in the class. While a measly 5th grade certificate wouldn't be significant to most, to me, it was the biggest accomplishment of my life. That certificate gave me the confidence necessary to strive for every goal that I have since, including my goal of becoming Miss California International!

My past, while it's difficult to face and incredibly hard to talk about, led me to the Big Brothers Big Sisters Organization. During my childhood I felt alone in the adversity I was facing, but now in my adult life I realize that there are a tremendous number of children facing just as controversial experiences. I have made it my mission to recruit mentors for the BBBS Organization to aid in offering these at-risk children stability in an environment where they feel they have no control, and no one to lean on. I am proof that having that one person believe in you can be life altering!

Note to my amazing parents:
While your past may have caused my siblings and I a tremendous amount of turmoil at the time, it ultimately made me stronger! I am a testament that while many children can't change the circumstances that they are facing, they do have the ability to choose how they react to them. I certainly could have used those experiences as a crutch... but I didn't! I used them as learning opportunities to ensure that I didn't repeat the vicious cycle.
I am incredibly proud of the positive changes that you have made to your life!

Update on my parents: both have been clean and sober for over 15 years! My mother is the Executive Director of a drug and alcohol rehabilitation and daily touches lives and inspires those facing the experiences of her past.

No comments:

Post a Comment