Saturday, December 29, 2012

My Match


I've made it my mission to use my year as Miss California to promote the Big Brothers Big Sisters mentoring program. In theory I think most agree that mentoring benefits children facing adversity, but unless witnessed firsthand I’ve noticed that while people do realize that it’s important that these children be mentored, they don’t feel compelled to personally step up and make a difference in a child’s life by offering them that positive influence. I’ve decided that my year will be spent trying to make the personal connection that is needed. I plan to show people an insider’s view of a real match between a Big and a Little and prove through example that the program is essential and continue emphasizing that there is a immense need for mentors. In most cities there are waiting lists of over 100 children and the program is unable to function without these much needed mentors.

My personal match:
My Little’s name is Tania and she and I were matched when she was seven years old. She was incredibly shy and introverted and she had a really difficult time making and retaining friends and often found herself as the target of bullying. I spent our first couple of visits trying to get her to open up a little. It was clear that it wasn't common for her to open up to those outside of her immediate family and that this was going to be a trying task. I was incredibly relieved and excited when I showed up at her school to pick her up on our third hangout and she spotted me from about 50 yards away and her face lit up and and ran full-speed over to greet me. From the day forward there has never been a quiet or awkward moment. Our visits are filled with stories, giggles, updates, and lots of playing. Our typical outings include simple things like bike riding, sand castle building, swinging at the park, arts/crafts, playing air hockey at the arcade, bowling, baking/cooking, going out to lunch/ice cream, water balloon tossing contests, Xbox Kinect dancing, tossing a football around, frisbee, playing tennis, and silly dancing and loud singing to her favorite artist Katy Perry. Being a 'Big' is not hard work... it's fun! For me personally being a Big Sister has been a wonderful treat because I lost my childhood to my patents addiction and hanging out with my Little is allowing me to experience the world through a child's eye for the very first time.
I've watched Tania grow so much in the last couple of years. She has become significantly more confident, she has an easier time making friends, and her grades have improved. Being a mentor doesn't require you to be able to teach math equations, but it does include being a cheerleader for your Little and always encouraging them to do their best. My mentor helped me to see my potential and I'm proof that having someone believe in you can be life-altering.

I'm going to post pictures and updates on my match from time to time so that you too can witness the changes that mentoring has on a child's life, and hopefully it will inspire you to make the decision to become the positive influence that a little boy or girl in your town is waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment